Posted: Oct 30, 2021
The Pima Community College women's soccer team (14-4) is heading back to the NJCAA Division II National Tournament.
- The No. 2 seeded Aztecs shut out No. 4 Mesa Community College 2-0 to claim their first NJCAA Region I, Division II Championship since 2015.
- The Aztecs got on the scoreboard in the 20th minute when sophomore Alyssa Kopach (Ironwood Ridge HS) scored with an assist from freshman Caitlyn Maher (Catalina Foothills HS).
- Kopach was named the NJCAA Region I, Division II Tournament Most Valuable Player as she scored both game-winning goals for the Aztecs.
- Freshman Delaney Buntin (Cienega HS) scored off a deflected shot in the box in the 66th minute to add some insurance.
- Player's Quote: "Mari (Acosta) had a shot and the (Mesa) keeper had it in her hand but didn't catch it so it was on the ground. I just made sure I was right there on the keeper marking and I got the chance to kick it in right away," Buntin said. "It's real exciting for most of us (to go to the National Tournament) because we haven't really gotten to do stuff like that. I think it's really nice how we all get to go as a team to get that team bonding. It's a new experience and we get to play new teams."
- The Aztecs and the Thunderbirds (9-7-2) each finished the game with five shots on goal. Sophomore goalkeeper Angelina Amparano (Salpointe Catholic HS) finished with five saves.
- Player's Quote: "We knew Mesa was going to come in hard because the last time we played them it was 3-2 (Pima win) and they're coming off beating the No. 1 ranked team (Phoenix College) so we knew it wasn't going to be easy," Amparano said. "We got it done, it was the hardest time we've played them because they really wanted it also."
- The Aztecs secured their ninth shutout win of the season.
- Player's Quote: "Every game we go into we're always trying to get shutouts. Not only me but our defense also. That's one of our goals; is to get a shutout and get at least three goals in the net. I think we really wanted to do that," Amparano added.
- The Aztecs will play at the NJCAA Division II National Tournament held at the Stryker Complex in Wichita, Kansas from November 15-20.