The Pima Community College women's basketball team (18-11, 14-7 in ACCAC) started quickly by doubling up Phoenix College (5-24, 3-18) after the first quarter on Saturday to close out their regular season home schedule.
- The No. 16 ranked Aztecs defeated the Bears and swept the regular season meetings after a 90-79 win. It was their seventh win in the last nine games. Pima beat Phoenix College 105-95 last month in Phoenix.
- The Aztecs opened the game on a 19-4 run and led 30-13 at the end of the quarter. Pima finished the quarter going 10 for 14 from the field.
- The Aztecs maintained a double digit advantage throughout the second and third quarters. The Bears slowly chipped away as the Aztecs found themselves up single digits at 65-57 in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter. Pima regained the double digit lead on their next possession and never relinquished it again.
- Sophomore Jacqulynn Nakai (Coconino HS) scored a game-high 25 points (1,238 total career points) with seven assists. Fellow sophomore Shauna Bribiescas (Dobson HS) shot 8 for 11 from the field and finished with 21 points and seven rebounds.
- Freshmen Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) and Alyssa Perez (Marana HS) combined for 26 points off the bench. Lawson scored 14 points with eight rebounds and Perez contributed with 12 points.
- The Aztecs recognized their eight sophomores after the game: Nakai, Bribiescas, RyLeigh Long, Brianna Pitre (Sabino HS), Rhianna Bortoli (Walden Grove HS), Bryanne Olson (Pusch Rideg Christian HS), Hailey Goley (Tanque Verde HS) and Briana Gamillo (Walden Grove HS).
The Aztecs close out the regular season on Tuesday when they play at Glendale Community College at 5:30 p.m. The Aztecs have locked up the No. 1 seed for the NJCAA Region I, Division II Tournament.
PC 13 15 23 28 79
PCC 30 12 21 27 90