The Pima Community College men's basketball team (19-12) is heading back to the NJCAA Region I, Division I finals after upsetting No. 1 seeded Scottsdale Community College (23-8).
- The No. 4 seeded Aztecs defeated the Artichokes 71-69.
- Down 69-68 with 35.6 seconds left, freshman Sammy Legleu (Nogales HS) grabbed the defensive board for the Aztecs. Sophomore Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) drove to the basket and hit a runner as he was fouled to give the Aztecs the lead with 9.1 second left. He hit the free throw to complete the three-point play.
- The Artichokes attempted a three-pointer from the left side that hit the rim as time expired.
- The Aztecs led by as much as 12 points early in the second half but the Artichokes closed it to single digits. The Aztecs held on to a slim lead but a 5-0 run put Scottsdale up 69-68 with 2:22 left in the game.
- The Aztecs led 38-37 at halftime and outscored the Artichokes 33-32 in the second half.
- Smith led the Aztecs with 19 points while freshmen Jake Lieppert (Saguaro HS) and Legleu each added 17 points. Sophomores Cole Gerken (Ironwood Ridge HS) and Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) each finished with nine points.
The Aztecs will look to claim their fourth straight Region championship as they play at No. 2 seeded Glendale Community College on Friday at 7:30 p.m.
PCC 38 33 71
SCC 37 32 69