The Pima Community College men's basketball team earned an emphatic victory on Friday in consolation game against Pitt Community College (24-10).
- The No. 3 seeded Aztecs led from start to finish as they dropped the No. 15 Bulldogs 105-73. The Aztecs will play in the seventh place game on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. (CT); 10:00 a.m. (MST).
- The Aztecs jumped out to a 9-1 lead but the Bulldogs closed the gap within two points at 21-19 with 10:57 left in the half. The Aztecs took over from there as they went on a 23-2 run in six minutes to lead 44-21. The Aztecs scored 11 of the final 13 points of the first half to take a 57-27 lead at the break.
- The Aztecs maintained a 30-point advantage in the latter part of the second half but their biggest lead was at 40 points at 104-64 with under three minutes left in the game.
- "I'm really proud of my team and how they've responded (the last two game)," Pima men's basketball coach Brian Peabody said. "We put a lot of energy into getting this far. We wanted to represent for Pima (Community) College and the community of Tucson."
- The Aztecs had six players score in double figures led by sophomore Kennedy Koehler, who finished with 22 points on 6 for 8 shooting and 3 for 4 from three-point range. He produced his 21st double-double as he also added 10 rebounds.
- Freshman Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) flirted with a triple-double as he finished with 19 points 10 rebounds and six assists. Fellow freshman Jordan Robinson posted 17 points on 4 for 6 shooting.
- Sophomore Robert Wilson (Salpointe Catholic HS) gained his 16th double-double of the season after he had 11 points and 11 rebounds.
- Sophomore Davonte Eason (Tucson HS) and freshman Cole Gerken (Ironwood Ridge HS) scored in double figures off the bench. Eason scored 11 points on 5 for 6 shooting and Gerken finished with 10 points as he went 3 for 4 from three-point range.
- Sophomore Abram Carrasco (Cholla HS) scored nine points and now has a total of 1,284 career points at Pima. He broke the career scoring record held by Greg Cook on Mar. 6.
The Aztecs will close out the season on Saturday when they play Ancilla College (IN) in the seventh place game. Tipoff is set for 12:00 p.m. (CT); 10:00 a.m. (MST).
PITT 27 46 73
PCC 57 48 105