The Pima Community College men's basketball team (19-5, 12-4 in ACCAC) dictated the pace and wore down Scottsdale Community College on Wednesday in a battle between two NJCAA Division II ranked teams.
- The No. 11 ranked Aztecs defeated the No. 15 ranked Artichokes 91-65 handing Scottsdale (17-7, 9-7) their first home loss of the season in 15 games.
- The Aztecs' lead was cut to 49-42 after the Artichokes went on a 9-1 run to start the second half but Pima responded with a 21-2 run in the next nine minutes to make it 70-44.
- The Aztecs took a double digit lead seven minutes into the first half. They went on a 12-0 run to make it 24-10 and held a 48-33 lead at halftime.
- Sophomore Abram Carrasco (Cholla HS) scored 20 points in the first half and finished with a game-high 26 points to go along with 10 rebounds and four assists.
- Sophomore Robert Wilson (Salpointe Catholic HS) secured his 11th double-double of the season as he posted 13 points and 11 rebounds along with five assists.
- Sophomore Kennedy Koehler had 14 points and 10 rebounds (14th double-double) while freshman Deondre Eason (Tucson HS) scored 12 points off the bench. Freshman Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) posted nine points and eight rebounds.
- The Aztecs earned a regular season sweep over the Artichokes. Pima won 104-87 in December.
The Aztecs return to the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium on Saturday when they host Tohono O'odham Community College. Tipoff is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.
PCC 48 43 91
SCC 33 32 65